View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post

The notion that tablets or laptops are intrinsically inferior to dedicated end points is simply not true. The answer is ‘it depends’ and there are a multitude of interference sources in play when you connect any digital device to your lovely analog stereo system.

When you hardwire your mains powered endpoint to any DAC, you have a multitude of interference sources to mitigate. I think Uptone is doing a fantastic job building effective products that mitigate this type of noise.

This is the frontier of excellent digital playback and deserves more airtime.

Tom
My technical background is weak, so I hesitate to comment--but my experience is that laptops are "intrinsically" inferior to dedicated purpose-built servers. That's why there's a cottage industry dedicated to mitigating their shortcomings--Uptone, as you mentioned, is a great part of this.

I messed around for years tweaking a Mac Mini via USB with various software fixes and add-on products, then noticed a marked improvement in switching to a Naim Uniti Core via S/PDIF. (Thanks to this thread I now understand part of the improvement was the linear power supply.)

My take is that if you're just starting out with computer audio, and you have a spare computer, that's great. But if you are in for the long haul, standard PCs are a false economy.