View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post

Does anybody have experience with the TEC 100% infra-red burner grills?

Yes, after using half a dozen other grills over the years I bought a TEC last year. The TECs are beautifully made, come in different sizes and are the only grills with this type of technology because TEC owns the patent. Other infra red grills are limited in the heat they put out due to patent licensing issues.

TEC grills can reach very high temperatures. With the top closed, the inside temperatures can reach 600 degrees. Low heat and slow cooking can be a problem because low heat is still high compared to a Weber or conventional grill but there is no better grill for steaks. My TEC heats up in 3 minutes, then I sear the steak (2") on each side for 3 minutes and move it to the side of the grill that is not turned on where it reaches an inside temperature of 126 degrees in an additional 8 or 9 minutes with an inside "oven" temperature of around 450.

The heating elements come apart easily and clean up well but there is not much cleaning necessary since any drippings or other residue just burn up.