View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
myjazz123.......Into a 4 ohm load, such as the Guarneri Evolution the Esoteric F-03A can output 60 watts of Class A power per channel. Although the Evo's sensitivity of 86dB/1w/1m is not as efficient as any number of other speakers, 60 watts is still enough power to drive those speakers to a respectable volume with sufficient reserve power to ensure accurate dynamics. 15 watts output is enough power to have the Evo's singing at approximately 98dB measured at one meter. Sitting approximately 3 meters away from the speakers will typically reduce your volume about 6dB. This means that a comfortable 90 to 91dB volume level can be achieved with the Esoteric F-03A loafing along at 15 watts average output with momentary peaks reaching near 60 watts. So as long as you are not trying to achieve rock hall volume in a large room a 60 w/p/c amplifier will work perfectly well with the SF Guarneri Evolution.

My preference for the Esoteric F-03A is based on it being a Class A amplifier and I like the shutter that hides the secondary controls. I have never owned a Class A amplifier, that is if you don't count a couple headphone amplifiers. The new Esoteric F-03A intrigues me for those reasons.
Dan - Just to clarify one point if I may regarding Class A power amp operation. While a solid state Class A power amp like the one in the F-03A integrated will indeed double its output power into a 4 ohm load compared to the 8 ohm rating, it does not maintain Class A operation at the higher power levels. It all comes down to limitations of current available from the power supply and the amount of power the heat sinking can effectively dissipate. As such into impedances lower than 8 ohms it can provide the rated power cleanly but that output will only be Class A for a portion of its maximum rated power. I'm certain that it will sound superb regardless!