View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 06:49 PM
VNV 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Small world. I lived at 20th & Cherry (next to Moore College of Art) and walked to the Penn campus most every day, so would go by (and into) Dan's shop quite often. Very much "old school", stuffed with gear of all sorts, but primarily McIntosh (guess that's stuck with me).
You likely recall Third Street Jazz, which was the largest record store in the world at the time ('70s). Sadly, it closed in '88 due to the CD craze. Remember Sam Goody's quite well.
As you've said, fond memories.
Yep Fond Memories,
When I was younger I was a Jr. member of the Franklin Institute which is right there. Went there many a time with my Dad. I remember siting in the cockpit of a P-51 Mustang they had on display. You could move the stick around and play with all the controls. They also had this Giant Steam Locomotive in there. Great place.

Yep I remember Third Street Jazz. To bad.. now it's DAC's and ADC. And a whole new world of Music reproduction. I also worked at Sigman Sound Studio down around Society Hill. Use to do some wire pulls and run cables during mod's and upgrades.

Those were the days of Multitrack recording and Mix down to 1/2 track at 15 IPS. Which brings me to ..... Direct to Disc recording. First done by Sheffield Labs. Have you ever listened to one? I have a few originals that sound almost as good as Digital. Check this link ...

https://www.sheffieldlab.com/ Unfortenitly they don't have DD recordings ..most are CD's Sometimes you can find them on E bay But are $$.

There still around. Every now and then I'll pop one of my DD recordings on and be amazed at the sound quality from a Piece of Vinal. I'm sure you must have run across one of there recordings in your Audio life.
(1) Marantz Model 500 Power Amp-(2) 3300 Pre Amp-(1) 150 Tuner (2) Model 250 Power Amps (1) BGW 750E Power Amp. (4) EV Sentry III Speakers-(2 DCM 3 3 way Rear Speakers-(2) Yamaha NS10M Speakers Center Chanel-(1)Audio Technica VM 750 DH Shabata Styles Audio Cartridge (1) ATLP120usb Audio Technica Turntable (1) Tube Phono Pre Amp. (3) DBX 160 X Compressor Limiters (4) Yamaha 1/3 Eq units. and More.

Last edited by Mark R; 12-17-2023 at 06:52 PM.