View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 09:23 AM

Great activity in the last week.
Tube rolling in Pre.
New finding: the CJ5 reacts much more strongly to different tubes than the 2030.
With the CJ5 it is possible to change the sound in different ways in all directions and to find a perfect result for the respective set up.
The 2030 hardly rules on the different tubes. Only subtle changes can be heard.
Phillips' 509 and a one pair Cunningham 301s seem to have a problem. They sound softer, with beautiful voices, but lack control and contour in the bass range.
I think they are at almost the end of their lifespan.
71 and 171 should actually be the same tubes in different designs, but the stage with the Ken Rad 71a is a little smaller and she plays with less volume. Neither of them are my favorites.
The other pair of Cunningham 301 and the 01A of Sylvania and Silvertone play at the same level, here is almost no difference to be heard. For me the best tubes in the Pre.
Cunningham's 112 plays very similar in size of the room and resolution, but timbres are slightly golden. slightly warmer, but not exaggerated. Very nice with voices and acoustic instruments.
The best alternative for me.
With the 0A3 I could not see any difference between Sylvania, the mil. version and the Orion GT.
In the case of rectification, the size of the room changed slightly. GE and Mullard very close to each other in terms of timbre and size of the image.
The EML makes the room slightly larger and airier, but without changing the size of instruments and voices. The instruments are all in the right place. Women's voices have the right volume that suits the body, and do not appear artificially enlarged. The control in the bass range is the same as with the other two rectifier tubes.

IMG_20220924_122246 by cgn- dt-n, auf Flickr

IMG_20220924_122252 by cgn- dt-n, auf Flickr