View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
We switched to the KT88 SET (triode) amp next with the KT170s. BTW, same OPTs in both amps I was told. I will preface this with this statement. I have yet to meet a pair of KT 88/120/150s I cared for. I know there are many out there who love this class of tube but I always seem to prefer the 6f/l/v6 Pentodes. The KT 170s are the same for me. I switched them out for a pair of 6f6g from the mishmash of tubes there on the coffee table. There was the sound I know so well and absolutely love from my other Inspire amps (custom Universal, PSE, and 6V6er). Wonderful!
I have yet to listen to KT170s. My expectations are that they will sound very similar to KT120 & KT150. Same manufacturer, same basic design. KT120 and KT150 sound very similar in both of my amps. The KT170 was designed to handle higher voltages and produce more power, but I have read nothing indicating that they produce a significantly different sound. In an amp designed for KT120 or KT150, a KT170 won't even produce any additional power.

In an amp specifically designed for KT170, one should realize a significant power increase.