View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I was told that the Roon interface compromises the sound. Is that true?
In my limited experience with Roon, I don't believe that Roon sounded inferior because of its coding (I think this would need extensive trials to prove though) but because of how it was connected with my BDP-2 when I subscribed.

The thing is with Roon, it needs a Roon core installed on a regular PC (except maybe for the Nucleus I believe). And the Bryston BDP only acts as an end point. I believe it's the connection between the two that degrades the performance. I admit that how it was connected back then was sub par but regarless, I got the best sound from the BDP with the internal hard drive and it was quite easy to discern the difference. After reading the BDP-3 review over HiFi Advice, the author confirmed the same stating that the sound was degraded with the use of a NAS. Applying the same logic, Roon would be subjected to the same conclusion with a BDP.

Since I got the best sound out of the internal SSD the BDP, Rigelian just makes it even sweeter as it's interface is similar to Roon or other streaming platforms. It operates the same as Manic Moose except with a neat interface. Nothing wrong with Manic Moose as it is extremely stable (never crashed once, and this is why I went with a complete Bryston solution instead of a regular PC) but in my opinion it's interface belongs in the Windows 95 era when compared to Aurender, Auralic, Spotify, Tidal, etc. I agree that Bryston should come up with a prettier interface because we are relying on third party apps for their products to fill that gap.