View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Hey Don,

I am so glad that after 100 years, or so, of succumbing to "upgradeitis", and spending tons of money to attain - what usually were - marginal (at best) results, I have finally decided that "enough is enough" and that my music systems are "good enough"

Seriously, you have excellent equipment. My best advice is "Make sure that whatever you purchase will make a "real" difference in the sound of your system", and realize that once you reach the level where you consider your system to be "darn good", most upgrades will usually produce only incremental differences, and will often disappoint, because you have spent - all that money - and your system only sounds a "tiny little bit better"

I've even "upgraded" and made my own system sound "a little bit worse".

I've bought stuff in the past based on what other people and magazine reviews have told me - and finally realized that any major money spent should be the result of my own listening - in my own system if possible -

Heck, for all I know, your Shelter 501 MkII cartridge, and the phone stage in your Luxman integrated, may be extraordinary and it would cost mega bucks to make significant improvement. So, take time evaluating, and don't order stuff based just on what other folks say.
A lot of wisdom in this post, Julian. Thanks for articulating it. I've chased my tail a few times resulting in frustration and wasted money.

At this level improvements are asymptotic, which means spend lots of $$$$ for very small improvement which is ok if you are aware of it, but could lead to major disappointment otherwise.

Last edited by cma29; 07-04-2013 at 09:48 PM.