View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Hi Anatta, thanks for your message.
I've done that before on my P8, and it is "volume offset" adjustment, not a truely amplification gain adjustment. This function is to make same loudness between sources.
What I'm telling gdtrfb was about amplification gain, which is fixed at 5dB, despite 9dB is indicated in specification. This low gain is compensated by higher than usual gain of 31dB on Moon amplifier. When I use P8 with other amps that has gain of 26dB like MC402 or XA160.5, this low gain problem was even more noticeable. By setting Offset to maximum of 10dB, is nothing more than increase VOL by 10.0, you will get loudness,
but when you lack of amplification gain, you will feel it.. music will lack real punch and power. one of my pre-amp that have true adjustable gain was Mark Levinson 326s, and this one also has VOL Offset setting too, other than gain of +0,+6,+12,+18 dB or something like that.
About Esoteric output it really make quite lower output in real life in my own system when compared to my previous ARC CD7 or Moon Andromeda, regardless of published specification.
Overall P8+W7M is one great amplification combination. it provide low coloration with speed and impact, sound stage, low noise. replace fuse of P8 with Furutech blue fuse also make it even more musical.
By the fact that I brought many amps to try and still keep W7M in the system is saying something that there is something in the Moon that I want to keep,
I can make system sound warmer by using some plugs and wall sockets or cables.

TOGA

Last edited by TOGA; 04-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.