Thread: Suppressors
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

Surefire has gone downhill badly; all of their products.
Good to know. The only piece of advice I have had so far was to stick with stainless steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Tim... one very important point regarding all Suppressors. Hollywood portrays them to be extremely quiet, sometimes even dead silent aka Pfft.

This couldn’t be further from the truth. Even using subsonic ammo in my MP5K 9mm they are far from quiet.

What they will do, is change the sound signature to a loud clap. In addition, they mask the direction of the round fired.

Of course on a rifle firing at 2500’+ per second, your sound will be that much louder.

As more and more rounds are fired through a Suppressor, the exhaust gas residue will improve the level of suppression. Rather similar to a muffler being more quiet over time.

PS: don’t ever clean your Silencer, it will just make it less efficient and louder.
I had a friend who had a very large collection of fireams with lots of NFA equipment. A belt fed .50cal machine gun, a suppressed Uzi fully auto, a Thompson machine gun. Literally 1000’s of guns. Every year he would spearhead a youth shoot for the NRA. My kids in their pre-teen years had the opportunity to shoot some of these firearms. Not the Browning belt fed 50 or the Tommygun, but the Uzi, M16. The Uzi was suppressed and a hoot for the kids to shoot. He was a class III dealer and we had discussed briefly a silencer for me, but he unfortunately died unexpectedly 2 years ago. But, Ivan’s picture of his suppressed H&K pistol in another thread has lit a fire under me.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature