View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 05:17 AM

The Monitor Audio PL-500II no longer appears on Monitor Audio’s website, suggesting they’ve been discontinued.

Their TOTL speakers now seems to be the Monitor Audio Platinum 300 3G, which got a recent rave review in Hi-Fi+. https://hifiplus.com/?r3d=issue-214-...eid=75a817e7c5

One thing that stood out (to me) were the reviewer’s comments about how great the speaker sounded at lower volume levels as well as sounding superb at normal to high listening levels. He wrote, If you want a complete, explicit account of your music without being bludgeoned by it, it’s easily available here.

I’m interested enough that I’ll make the 10 to 12 hour drive to Philadelphia or Atlanta (I live in the isolated back woods of Appalachia) to listen to them when the dealers have them in stock.

Pricing is £11,500 / €14,000​ / $15,500​ pair. My wife and I are planning a trip to London in the Spring and if the exchange rate continues to be favourable I’ll likely purchase them in the UK and have them shipped back, a savings of about $5,000 at today’s exchange rates. In past trips I purchased a pair of B&W DM3000’s when the pound was at parity with the dollar, and on subsequent trips a Michell GyroDec (no US distributor at the time) and a Rega tone arm. The GyroDec was significantly easier and faster to assemble than the numerous Linn’s I sold when I was at university and worked in a high end store.

I look forward to comments about the new Platinum 300G’s from the members in this forum