View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Remembering Dan

Default More thoughts on my visit....

I'm bumping this thread to add a few more thoughts and impressions. There was (and still is) a lot to digest from this visit. What a great time it was.... When I started this thread last night, there were a lot of photos to go through, uploading, etc...a lot of thoughts to process, and composing the thread itself. In addition, I had impatient members here anxious to hear details of the visit. I was tired as well, from all the driving, and from follow up chores upon my return. So, I was kind of in a hurry myself, to get the thread started and the discussion rolling.

Most of what I'd like to add pertains to the system Dan has assembled in the studio. In a nutshell, this is, without a doubt, a world-class system. I don't know when, if ever, I have heard a system like this, assembled in such a tasteful way, in a very ideal and intimate environment. The studio is like an acoutic vacuum, totally dead quiet with no spurious reflections whatsoever. You can clap your hands in there and there is no echo whatsoever. There is virtually no outside light coming into his studio, and his remote controlled lighting allows one to bring the lights down for a great ambience any time of the day. When those lights go down, and you see all that McIntosh gear all lit up, it is really mesmerizing.

The McIntosh MC2301 amplifiers are, quite simply, incredible performers and are works of art in their own right. Gorgeous to look at, they are huge, and one cannot help but to be awed by them. I had seen one on static display at Ivan's 2008 party, but this was the first time I had listened to a pair. Dan made the comment that he believes these are the finest amplifiers made by McIntosh to date. I really don't know if that is true, and of course being the subjective topic that this is, would of course be open to debate. There are more expensive and more powerful McIntosh amplifiers (the epitome of the line being the prodigious MC-2KW, which are simply amazing as well). My only opportunity to hear the MC-2KW's has been at Ivan's, but he only uses these to power the bottom end of his XRT2K's. So, I've nver had the opportunity to hear those monsters full range. But the MC2301 has to be, at least, one of the finest amplifiers on the planet. And I know of no amplifier, except perhaps the MC2KW, that is more impressive to look at. Anyone thinking of owning either of these flagship products had best be sure they have the room for them!

Equally impressive is the Sonus Faber Anniversario. At the time of my last visit, Dan was using the Guarneri Mementos, driven by a pair of McIntosh MC275 Mk V amps running in mono. At the time, he was augmenting the GM's with a pair of McIntosh XLS112 subwoofers. Now that he has the Anniversarios, the XLS112's have been re-purposed to the theater, as the Anniversarios really need no sub. If anyone thinks that a pair of 8-1/2" woofers cannot produce deep bass, think again! When called upon to do so, these loudspeaker systems were producing VERY deep bass, in spades, and without the slightest hint of stress or strain. These are absolute, first-rate loudspeaker systems. They are also gorgeous, with their stunning graphite finish (available of course in the violin finish as well) and luxurious leather coated baffle.

I wanted to expand a bit on my impressions since I really felt like my initial post of last evening was incomplete.

I had mentioned in the other thread Dan started on my visit, while I was still en route home, that this visit represented a number of firsts for me:

This was the first time I had an opportunity to audition a pair of McIntosh MC2301 monoblock tube amps;

This was the first opportunity I'd had to audition any Esoteric product;

Although we listened the majority of the time to the Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player/DAC, this was the first opportunity I'd had to listen to the very well known McIntosh MCD1100; and

this was the first opportunity I'd had to listen a pair of Amati Anniversario loudspeakers.

The McIntosh C1000C/P I had heard previously when it was in Dan's upstairs system.

I also mentioned in the other thread that this was also, in a certain way, a first for Dan. What I meant by that was, I was the first AA'er to visit his home since all of these very significant upgrades were implemented. I feel very priveliged to say that, and I feel very priveliged to have friends like Dan, Ivan, and to me a member of the great group we fondly refer to as "AA".

Dan, thank you again my friend.....

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 12-31-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Clarification