Thread: DB and Ohms..
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Thank you!

So with my McIntosh MC402 I am currently using the 8ohm taps, should I switch to the 4 ohm taps for these Focals?
It will not hurt anything if you try but I think you are good with 8 ohms. An 8 ohm "nominal" speaker, by the international standard, shall remain at 80% of the nominal or 6.4 ohms in the frequency range it can reproduce (down to -10db points at extremes). Also one needs to keep in mind the impedance will also rise drastically and especially around the lower octaves/bass frequencies of a typical speaker.

Switching taps from 8 ohms to 4 for example will yield a slightly louder output to the speaker overall and sometimes the slight increase in loudness is interpreted as a "better sounding tap" when in reality it would take a careful listening and evaluation of the overall response of the speaker across the whole frequency spectrum. The bass articulation, the midrange changes as well as even the slight effect it may have on the upper end of the spectrum or the "highs".

I suggest you play your favorite music and pay attention to the overall presentation. Whichever tap brings you closer to music or puts a bigger smile on your face is your tap. It doesn't have to be technically right, it just has to be right for your ears.