View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
I've eaten at Franklin's dozens of times. I was one of his original customers when he opened his trailer in 2009. It was a 10 minute walk from my office. He credits me for being the original early arriver. Opens at 11 and I would get their at 10:30 in order to be first. He's since moved into a brick and mortar location and now people show up at daybreak to be first in line. If you don't get in line by 9 you won't eat. Yes and its excellent.

That said Austin has plenty of BBQ joints that are as good as Franklin's IMO. When he's on his game and sober John Mueller is the best in town. Unfortunately John has been fighting Demons for the past 20 years. John's sister LeeAnn has a great place too called LA Barbecue! Styles Switch, Salt Lick, Kerlin's Terry Black, Valentina's etc etc. Austin is the BBQ capital of the country. It has the most diverse Que. Pork, Beef, Chicken, Goat, Mutton, Hot guts etc etc.

Interesting story. John Lewis the former pitmaster at both Franklin's and LA Barbecue has moved to Charleston South Carolina a city known for Pork BBQ and opened up a Texas style Q joint. It's now the talk of the city and regarded as the best in town. The big complaint. The long line at lunch.

Lewis Barbecue
Kerlin's is really good, but recently their brisket has been off. La Barbecue has the most amazing beef rib. I like Terry Black's and Freedman's for indoor seating.