View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Fellow C1100 owners, does your C1100 run hot? Like significantly hotter than your previous Mcintosh tube preamp?

Mine sure does.

I know it's supposed to be hot, it's a tube preamp, but compared to the C2300 and C500T I have owned, it's a real heater!! I don't remember either the 2300 or 500 being anything more than warm on the top plate.

My C1100 top casework is hot to the touch, not so much I pull hand back but hot nonetheless.

I wonder if this is typical of most tube preamps using 12ax7s and 12AU7s?

This preamp does contain more tubes, 4 more IIRC, compared with C500. I also remember reading when McIntosh first announced the C1100 commentary regarding the tube circuit is a different design compared with the C500/C1000 preamps with the implementation of more/different tubes more akin to a "truer" tube design whatever that means.

Is the C1100 the first Mcintosh preamp to use 12AU7 tubes?

Maybe this is why it runs hotter as now more is demanded of the tubes in this preamp compared with older/other McIntosh tube preamps?

My MC601s being solid state and no more than loafing 95% of the time are as cool as the other side of the pillow.

I do have my C1100T/C boxes stacked with the tube component on top and slotted shelving to help with air flow although the rack sits inside a wall cabinet.

So, fellow C1100 owners .... is the top of your casework pretty darn hot too????
I'm not quite the baller like you, Jason, but my C2600 runs hot.