View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Okay thanks, I need to learn about servo subs, interesting...
Or....you could keep things simple and just get the REL, and call it a day. They are simple to setup and integrate.

My advice, having been a Six Sigma Black Belt working on solviing much more complex problems for 10 years is: don't get caught get up in "analysis paralysis" when there are simple and effectivie solutions available. REL makes it easy to integrate a sub, this is one of the reasons they have been so successful with their products.

I did a statistical analysis approach called Design of Experiments to integrate my REL R-305, but that was an experiment, and as a scientist, that's what we do!

My analysis determined that Gain was the single factor that impacted bass response and integration the most, the XO point had some effect, but not as much as Gain. Look at linear graph in the third box from the left along the top; this is called a "leverage plot", the steeper the line, the more impact that particular factor has on the bass reponse.

The graphs below shows my actual, in-room response. The red or blue lines are what I started with, and the green line is what I ended up with after setting the sub to the settings (Gain, Crossover) that the DOE told to me to set. I showed these to setup guru Stirling Trayle at the SFAS event last week, and he said the results looked really good.

LEFT Speaker; before sub is red plot, Green plot is after integration with REL

RIGHT Speaker: before is blue, after is Green.

Life's too short, my advice is just get the REL and call it a day...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-30-2019 at 02:41 PM.