View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 06:23 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Joel, how are the HD650s breaking in for you?

Such nice cans! I spent the evening listening to the 650s. I had another pair that I finally got a chance to pull out of storage today. Brand new. These need a bit of hours on them but they bloom fairly quickly. They were a bit stiff and mechanical sounding first 30-40 min and then started to sing. A few hours later, I had a fantastic listening session. All Ben Webster tonight.
Serge, thanks for asking and for your patience!

I've been burning the HD650s in almost daily since they've arrived early January, with music sourcing from Qobuz on iPhone/iPad/MacBook via AQ Dragonfly Red.

The very obvious is that they deliver beautiful mids. Lows are well controlled and highs are rather smooth.

Very good headphones overall, a happy first entry into the world of Sennheiser

After a month of listening exclusively to the Senns I decided it was time to pull out the Audeze LCD-2 and the AudioQuest Nighthawk for a little comparaison.

Here's my take on how the HD650s fared, to my ears and will full disclaimer:
1) apologies to the ones who already know it all as those cans have been around for a while!
2) anyone is entitled if not encouraged to disagree

Even though the HD650s are the lightest of the lot, the tightish clamping can somedays make them slightly uncomfortable (Serge I will follow your advice). AQNHs are clear winners in that respect, and the LCD2s are pretty much behind due to their extra weight.

The LCD2s & AQNHs deliver a deeper bass than the HD650s, although the AQNHs can sometimes get a bit thick. The 3 headphones clearly excel in the midrange area, with the AQNHs sometimes providing a euphonic presentation, and the LCD2s probably being the most accurate. The LCD2s offer the most detailed yet sweetest highs. I think I might have noticed the famous "veil" on the HD650s when listening via the Dragonfly Red? When it comes to headphones I find it difficult to make obvious statements about soundstage, but I'd say that the LCD2s probably provide the widest picture.

Overall the LCD2s seem to offer the most accurate and coherent presentation, the AQNHs can get addictive but on the back of rather obvious colouration, and the 650s maybe not be the most precise but in the end they are a pretty musical offering and can therefore fulfil the role of daily companion.

But I seem to have caught the heaphonitis bug and as a result feel the need to move further up the cans ladder. With that perspective in mind I have just ordered the Mezze 99 Classic, to make sure that I enjoy the house sound before possibly making the jump to the x times costlier Empyreans... looking forward to this new adventure
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser