View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 03:44 PM

Default The Infamous DSD Click?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

If you can play DSD (as DSF or DFF), there is only one reason to convert your rips to FLAC/PCM and that is to allow for DSP including roomEQ.

When I need to convert it, for that purpose, I rely on Jriver or Roon to do the conversion in real-time rather than use an app to create additional files.
I've got JRiver MC28 for Mac, on a trial basis, and I've used it [so far] to rip redbook CDs to FLAC. The results are very nice, so I assumed that FLAC is the way to go.

On the other hand, I'm now employing Sonore ISO2DSD to process the SACDs that we already own into individual DSF files [which happened by accident, honestly]. So I went back to the JRiver forum to research converting said DSF files to FLAC and, in short, found a thread where JRiver users were complaining about what they refer to as the "infamous DSD click." In fact, it would seem that there are folks out there who've already ripped all of their SACDs and, for whatever reason, are having to go back and rip their SACDs to ISO again.

I'll link you to the thread, but I'd really like to avoid any issues down the road, so I'm hoping to find the simplest way to go about ripping both types of SACDs (stereo and MC). I see that you've posted to this thread, Kal, so would you mind typing some words about this phenomenon and, more to the point, how to best go about avoiding it?

CLICK HERE TO GET TO THE INFAMOUS DSD CLICK THREAD

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections