View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=Bombadil;796799]Okay, so then most of the time if I am using a 5V4GA the plate voltage will be 400V vs when using the 274B it will be 381V. The drop should only occur on volume peaks / maximum demand. As I am filtering sub-100Hz signals from the amp, there may be few drops occurring.

I do have the 5V4GA back in right now. Running a comparison between it vs the 274B, a 5U4G, and a 5Y3GT. But using a different 5V4GA, this one is a very old RCA and the glass has a slight bronze'ish cast. Very pretty when lit up. The one I used the other day is an ancient Remington Rand. Perhaps it wasn't up to spec. This one is sounding better.

As to being driven hard, Dennis' current KT88 amp that produces 17 watts per channel, is driving that tube at its estimated max in single-ended mode.

It just may have been your 'state of mind' when you heard the edginess. Sometimes I'll think my rig sounds weird and it often occurs during the daytime. Rectifiers of the same type should not sound different but to my ears they do. It appears that you have the issue resolved and that's all that matters.