View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 12:23 PM

Epic Fail on my part for not following up on this! Sorry guys!

I got busy and sidetracked.

Ok as its been documented I hosted several guys here from AA at my home in early March. Just before COVID!

IN the house was a dCS Bartok; Bricasti M21, & Bricasti M1-SE...

The M21 was brand new.

I'll spare the dCS vs Bricasti summary. BOTH were AND are terrific. Honestly maybe a 50/50 there. Sometimes we preferred the M21 and other times the dCS.

One note. Each day we had the M21 it just got better and better...by the 3rd & 4th day; it was spectacular. So good that Steve, (SL800) wanted to take the loaner home to try in his setup. Steve ended up goin on a full Bricasti marriage.

I was going to purchase it but then COVID 19 hit and got scared a little with unloading that large purchase.

After a couple of weeks I began thinking the M3 could be the ticket. After chatting with Brian Zolner (Bricasti owner) the M3 shares the same DAC as the M21. Doesn't have the ladder DAC nor the additional power supply. Smaller Chassis..but Brian is very proud of what he did with the M3.

So I purchased the M3 without the network card due to having a pretty nice digital server with Small Green Computer and Sonore. I go USB from the Signature Rendu SE to the M3.

The M3 performs WELL above its price. Don't have the luxury of doing an A/B with the M21 but I think the M3 is more like the M21 than the M1 is. They each have their own sonic feel to them.

Not sure I could really justify the extra cost for the M21 though. I know its better but $8K better? Hmm...

Early on I tried M3 straight to my MC2301s. Was good BUT I liked the C1100 in the mix. Just had a more full sound to it. Granted having the c1100 out of the mix brought more clarity and detail but also lost some midrange fullness...I need to try again as that was very early.

Also with a Turntable I need a preamp.

The M3 is an awesome DAC. When we listened to the M1SE it was great as well. There's a little bit more depth and "air' if you will on the M3 and M21 to me vs the M1.

Just my .02 cents.

Bricasti is truly a great brand that backs their product and updates their entire line.