View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram18 View Post
Hi I am new here and value your opinions in my quest for an enhanced audio experience.

I am looking to get a Schiit Freya or Saga + both tube versions to connect to a Blusound node 2 or 2i. Has anyone used this combination for a significant audio upgrade? Hows the experience for streaming this way pl. By the way I will be connecting the Schiit Freya or Saga + to my power amp XTZ A 2 300 150 watt Class D as well. It has a gain control. Currently am having Klipsch RP 6000f fronts; and centre two 10inched Klipsch subs and a Marantz UD 7007 CD and SACD/ Blueray player along with Jamo surround and front height speakers. I have an Onkyo RZ 830 AVR which has a built in Tidal function which decodes MQA. However thinking if the Schiit plus Bluesound node will give a better listening feel, with some tube refinement and airiness while having good clarity, soundstage and bass punch. If it does then I will use my Onkyo for movies and my streaming and CD listening with Schiit Bluesound and XTZ power amp. By the way does Saga + or Freya + yield better returns? I have never ventured into tubes before but am always drawn to it.

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks
I use a Bluesound Node 2i feeding a Schiit Gungnir MB DAC and it sounds very very good. At one point I fed that combo to a Freya and it worked out well.
I've not heard the Freya+ or the Saga+ but I found that the Freya, while good sounding, was not up to par of the SQ I was shooting for. If you can swing a few more bucks track down the Quicksilver Line Stage (non remote version). Note: QS makes a remote control line stage but it is a different circuit and does not sound as good. I would have that pre-amp (QS Line Stage), except that it doesn't have a remote! So I purchased a used Parasound SC2 that is much better sounding than the Freya but no quite as good as the QS Line Stage (IMO). Schiit makes great gear, but I've not been overly impressed by their pre-amps thus far. DAC's are serious contenders, and the Aegir amp (used as monoblocks) can deliver the goods if you're speakers are fairly easy to drive. Maybe the + upgrades of the pre-amps bring the pre-amps up to snuff? I don't know as I've not heard them yet.