View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 02:52 PM

Tri-amping is in the house!

Thank you Ivan (Masterlu) for the tip. It's a bit crazy. I had a growing idea from early on with The Sonus faber to figure out what may speaker could sound like. It seamed like a waste not to figure it out. Your tip and experience with The Sonus faber and Tri-amping made me do this. I send you the bill... hehe.
For some years I'v been trying to buy Krell FPB amps. It's not that easy. The seller should be trustworhy. That is not always the case. I was tricket quite early in the process. The unit should also be in good condition over all. I also want them to be perfect inside. New capacitors, new contacts and other importand components. They have been thoroughly renovated by an Krell- and HighEnd-expert.
The optimal plan was to use 6xKrell FPB450mcx. After 3 years I got close.
Krell 400cx, Krell 350Mc and krell 450Mcx in perfect condition and renovated.
The latest contender are the Krell FPB 450 Mcx.

This is how it looks...

This is how it sounds...

8 Ohm, around 1500Watt (due to low specification from Krell it's probably more). per Channel makes these speakers with 7 membranes to excel. 3 amps per channel makes the feed back from the speakers much more easy for the amps.
I'v been Bi-amping for a year and I know how good a big power-headroom is. Tri-ampning is another big step. I didn't know how this would sound, but it's not a small effekt.
The first thing that I noticed was how the midrange, voices and instruments were totally free in the space and almost scary present. The power is effortless, soundstage big and there is just music. Nothing holds back. The gear is not holding the music back.
The power in the bottom end is very deep and textured. Both micro and macro dynamics are very fast and agile.

In my system there has been nothing like this.
One of these amps or my former Gryphon is very good. But this is a completely new level.

The only concern is not a surprise... my fuses. My Nordost QB8 High Currant fuse burns when I play loud. that will be taken care of.

I think the new 450mcx amps has to burn in for at least 100 hours to play at it's best. Already it's great.

Last edited by Apexorca; 12-16-2021 at 03:13 PM.