View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 AM

Default TAD owners: speaker setup

Just wondering what TAD owners have found in terms of optimal positioning.

The manual recommends a triangle where the distance between speakers < distance from speakers to listener (see diagram below), with the speakers pointed directly at the listening position.

From personal experience I have found that whilst this gives great tone and focus it is somewhat restricting of the soundstage width, depending of course on the distance between the speakers (B).

At shows I have noticed TAD speakers are often setup with a little more toe-out than advised in the manual and this giving more of an expansive soundstage. This may be due to the large area of listeners the speakers need to cover at shows.

Typically loudspeakers are setup in an equilateral triangle with toe-in such that the speakers point just outside the shoulders of the listener.

I have started experimenting a little but have not yet found what I consider the optimal setup. Would like to get to a rule of thumb of say B=0.9A or B=0.95A where the size of the triangle wouldn't really affect the tone/focus/soundstage and would be more dependant on the room.

Would be interested to hear how other TAD owners have their speakers setup.