View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Listen for yourself and trust your ears.

Which Hydra do you have?
I have the Typhon upgraded to QR and Triton V1 (I think).

Regarding the turntable, I was thinking that it would be insensitive to noise and a very low current draw, which is why I just used a decent black cord on it. I've recently read that while it's unlikely that noise would affect the turntable sound, it's possible the motor could generate noise to other components. I think it's unlikely, but I want to try the V14 Digital just to see.

As an update, the system seemed to have a breakthrough last night. I bought and downloaded a copy of Gil Evans The Individuality of Gil Evans and was blown away by the air, depth, and width of the soundstage. This is a CD-quality FLAC, and obviously well-recorded great players, but still it made me wonder if I was finally hearing the difference I expected. Listening to familiar albums this morning (Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane, Santana Abraxas, Aaron Neville Nature Boy) and they all sound more airy and at the same time the instruments sound more solid. The Gil Evans record is obviously a special recording, but other recordings also seem to sound better as well.

Listening continues...
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom