View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
Interesting. I don't have a 5Z4. Is there a particular brand you like? I've been very happy with NOS RCA, including the 5U4G that I'm currently using. My driver is NOS Brimar 6SL7. I don't have KT66, but I do have a set of new Gold Lion KT77s that I have never tried. Maybe it is time to break them out.
For some reason, my two 5Z3 (5U4G) alternatives are rather dull. One is NOS RCA and the other is an even older NOS RAD-TEL, which sounds better than the RCA but not at par with my other rectifiers. Funny!

The 5Z4 I have is a Brimar, mica base (not metal base). Excellent rectifier with all my output tubes. It even competes with the excellent Westinghouse/Amperex 5AR4 when paired with the KT88. I find it a go-to rectifier with everything except, of course, the RCA G ST, which requires the 80 (5Y3) rectifier.

Why is this so? I really don't understand it. The 5U4G (5Z3) is supposed to be the best with 6V6/6L6, but I did not find them even close to the above pairing ... Funny indeed!

The KT77 is supposed to resemble the EL34, which has a specific sound which may or may not convince everyone. In my setup, I find the 6V6/6L6 great but I miss the body and dynamics of the KT88, which in turn masks some of the finer details, unfortunately. So, I would like to try the KT66, which hopefully will bring on the best of those two tube families.

I also found the 274-B that I disliked up to recently to work very well with most output tubes when paired with the right input tube, a variable that in itself opens up a new can of worms ...

I think tube-rolling is fun, but not necessary if you are comfortable with the sound you have. In my case, I'm always striving for that next upgrade level ...