View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
In the Inspire amp I also enjoy the detail and neatness of the 6L6 GC and 6V6 GT, but with the 5Z4 rectifier much more so than with the 5Z3 (5U4G) ... The KT88's are full-bodied and highly dynamic, but the tradeoff with them is the masking of some of the finer details. I like these with the 5AR4, 5Z4 and since last weekend, the 274-B alike. It all depends on the input tube I use and whether it is a low-gainer 6SN7 or the 6SL7.

I'm thinking maybe the KT66 will offer the best of these two extremes (detail mining/delicacy and sound body/dynamics), with the proper rectifier setup. I'll find out soon. I'm using the stock 80 (5Y3) and 27 output tubes in the LP-27a, although I like the 56's here too.
Interesting. I don't have a 5Z4. Is there a particular brand you like? I've been very happy with NOS RCA, including the 5U4G that I'm currently using. My driver is NOS Brimar 6SL7. I don't have KT66, but I do have a set of new Gold Lion KT77s that I have never tried. Maybe it is time to break them out.
2 Channel - Inspire Amp; Dared Pre; Carver "The Receiver" for tuner and switching; Thorens 125 turnable; Angle Audio PS internal battery; Shure SME 3009 tonearm; Bang & Olufsen MC20CL cartridge; Roku; Sony Bravia TV; Polk Audio SDA-2
Theater - Onkyo AVR, Orb Speakers, MAC music server, Monarchy Audio NM24 DAC [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]