Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
Thanks for sharing these thoughts!

I certainly have not overlooked MSB - in fact, elsewhere someone had suggested that their Premier (with separate power supply) would be a good, synergistic (and budgetary) fit with my Mcintosh system.

Elsewhere, another had indicated they had heard a manufacturer/dealer pairing of my essential setup (i.e Mcintosh pre/611s) and B&W800s) with, I think it was, an Aurender streamer/DAC as a commensurate piece with my setup.

Obviously, I am keen to maximize my system but no sense in having a particular component be so high-end that I am not able to discern or reap the benefits in my own system (ie the whole ‘weakest link in the chain’ concept).
Did you already end up getting a new DAC/streamer for your setup?
For your setup I think the Chord Dave DAC with Chord MScaler and a very good music streamer and/or network audio player/music renderer would be good enough and I think Chord Dave DAC would compliment the sound of your Mac gears. Of course there's always room for improvement. I highly recommend the latest EMM Labs DA2 V2 DAC with the EMM NS1 streamer if you are willing to spend significantly more than the Chord Dave DAC.

By the way, how are your B&W 800 D3 paired with the Mc611 amps? I've only heard the 802 D3 driven by the Mc611 amps paired with a lower end Mac linestage preamp (I think it was the C26 or something couldn't remember) with some Mac CD/SACD player (couldn't remember which model) served as digital front end player. While the overal sound was pretty good but IMO the upstream components (Mac CD/SACD player and preamp) were holding back the overal fidelity and musicality of the system sound. The Mc611 are pretty good amps IMO and pair pretty well with the 802 D3. I've never heard the 800 D3 driven by the Mc611 though.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-16-2020 at 05:31 PM.