Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
ufguy73

Other great option in addition to the Esoteric & DCS would be the MSB. They make awesome DACs. Even Meridian Ultra DAC is pretty awesome too.
My cousin owns the MSB Select II DAC stacks with two separate mono powerhouses (two separate power supply units) and its flagship Femto 33 clock but his MSB Select II DAC stacks cost well over $100k before cablings. But he has a cost-no-object system setup which consist of the Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage preamp ($90k), Naim Statement NAP S1 monoblock amps ($180k/pair), Magico M9 speakers ($765k/pair) with all cost-no-object cablings and AC power products as well. He also has a cost-no-object analog front end source components : Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable ($220k), Statement Goldfinger cartridge, Statement TT tonearm & D'Agostino Momentum phono pre ($28k).
MSB also makes DACs under $50k or even under $30k which would be more suitable for your setup. You should also highly consider MSB in addition to Esoteric & DCS.

Other great option would be the EMM Labs which retails for around $35k I think. Great DAC and the best sounding in its price point or the best for under $50k or up.

Chord Dave DAC (around $10k to $13k I think) will be another great option too.

If you look into a streamer/DAC I highly recommend either the Linn Klimax DS/DSM with the latest Katalyst DAC architecture ($30k retail) or the Naim ND555 streamer/DAC ($22k) with its matching separate external Naim 555 PS DR power supply unit ($14k). But the Naim will exceed your budget. You can use one or two external 555 PS DR power supply units for the ND555 streamer/DAC, each 555 PS DR power supply costing $14k per unit. Using two 555 PS DR will yield better sonic results. Highly musical sounding streamer/DAC especially when paired with external Naim 555 PS DR PSU.
Naim ND555 streamer/DAC does not have internal power supply and is meant to paired with Naim 555 PS DR external PSU. All Naim 500 series components do not have onboard power supply and are meant to be paired with each of the 555 PS DR PSU for each component. But with all Naim components, with the exception of the Naim Statement preamp & monoblock amps, I highly recommend using DIN connection, which is proprietary to Naim, in order to get the best sound. In the case of the Naim ND555 streamer/DAC, it has both DIN & RCA single-ended analog audio outputs and the DIN analog output sounded quite a bit better than the RCA single-ended ones.
However, your McIntosh preamp does not have DIN analog input, only Naim gears use DIN inputs/outputs to connect between Naim components to optimize sound quality. People usually go Naim all the way, starting from their streamer/DAC to their preamp & amp to utilize of their DIN analog audio connectivity to optimize sound quality. That's the only minor drawback with using Naim streamer/DAC in a non Naim setup using non Naim preamps & amps or trying to mix n match Naim component with other brands.

I also have the B&W 800 D3 paired with the Classe Omega Reference monoblock amps. For your speakers you should look into a brand new recently released Classe Delta Mono monoblock amps ($22k retail). They pair really well together. The new Classe Delta Mono amps run in class A biased mode for the first 35 watts @ 8 ohms with the rest in class AB mode. These will be a clear step up from your McIntosh MC 611 monoblock amps especially on your B&W 800 D3. For your linestage preamp if you are willing to spend $30k you should consider upgrading to the ARC Ref 10 linestage pre, which will be big step up from your Mac C1100 pre. Or even the ARC Ref 6 linestage pre will be better than the Mac C1100.

Or else you should highly consider getting all Naim 500 series gears which consist of the ND555 streamer/DAC ($22k) paired with one or two external 555 PS DR PSUs ($14k each), NAC 552 linestage analog preamp ($22k) paired with one of two external 555 PS DR PSUs ($14 each), NAP 500 DR power amp ($25k) paired with an external 555 PS DR PSU ($14k). The Naim NAP 500 DR stereo power amp is a true dual mono configuration / design and each channel is independent from each other and has its own regulators, both channels are completely isolated from each other and are separated by building blocks within the amp. These all Naim 500 series components will elevate the musicality and sonic qualities of your setup / system into the next level and will be way more musical sounding than your current Mac setup and will be a big step up sonically and musicality wise. Naim gears pair well with the B&W as I've heard the combos before.

Actually in my secondary setup I had the Naim Uniti Nova all-in-one integrated (streamer/DAC/integrated amp all in a single chassis) paired with the B&W 805 D3 before and they sounded great together. But I have since moved up to the Sonus Faber Olympica 2 speakers for this secondary system but still have the Naim Uniti Nova. Now I'm thinking to sell the SF Olympica 2 and get something from either PMC or Harbeth or ProAc or ATC. Naim and PMC speakers have the best synergy.
Thanks for sharing these thoughts!

I certainly have not overlooked MSB - in fact, elsewhere someone had suggested that their Premier (with separate power supply) would be a good, synergistic (and budgetary) fit with my Mcintosh system.

Elsewhere, another had indicated they had heard a manufacturer/dealer pairing of my essential setup (i.e Mcintosh pre/611s) and B&W800s) with, I think it was, an Aurender streamer/DAC as a commensurate piece with my setup.

Obviously, I am keen to maximize my system but no sense in having a particular component be so high-end that I am not able to discern or reap the benefits in my own system (ie the whole ‘weakest link in the chain’ concept).

Last edited by ufguy73; 08-15-2020 at 05:45 PM.