Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Unfortunate for their listening SQ, many folks poo-poo cables, believing that "wire is wire". My recent up-grade transformed my speakers. Get the best you can afford. Analysis Plus are excellent, as are WireWorld.

Its fun to watch the thread debates with those same folks arguing how they hear no difference with a pair of $29 compared to $329 interconnects. They are probably correct, 1) Many times they can't hear it - we all hear differently. Those with more sensitive hearing can hear the difference. 2) often times in said situations the equipment and speakers being used are mediocre at best. 3) Those same folks also know they can spend $ elsewhere to benefit their system elsewhere first. And those systems may just as well sound the same with $8.99 pair of cables from Home Depot if "wire is wire". Hey, If there are multiple weak links in the system, it's probably true as the rest of the components used just has wire inside so why waste money on high $ cables. Makes sense in those situations to not buy more than what is needed. I've been testing different interconnects for over 40 years, and agree "wire is wire in some systems", and it can be a game changer in others. A good buddy tested a lot, at great expense, and having a chance to listen to differences on his systems was very educational. Connect with friends, it helps.

I'd also mention that some brands have varying levels of cables and not all cables of all brands may sound great. The case of AP, only the Crystal Solos sound nice in my system. I don't care for the regular OFC copper or upper end silver as much in my particular system as it's already transparent to begin with. So, testing different cables in the different lines using something like the CableCo loaner program is helpful. Buying blindly and hoping it will sound okay is a crapshoot at best. Cables in one system could sound great and lousy in another system. Systems vary, and everyone's hearing varies too.

BENEFIT $:
The benefit with these folks and the nay-sayers is periodically they do cave in every once in a while and finally go out and buy high $ cables to try them. And, some, panicking hearing no difference, and then quickly re-list them for sale at less than half price and dump them. This makes a great opportunity for those who know what they are looking for and where it can be applied to make a difference. Hey, snatch them up at a great price if you know what you want or to just try it, ya never know. If you do, and buy them right and don't like them, someone will always take them off your hands if they are one of the more well known lines with better quality materials, design, and connectors. Loaner programs or borrowing a demo from a local audio dealer or audio buddy helps too if you have this type of access. There is a cost associated with figuring out the benefit though, to each his own.

Last edited by decooney; 12-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.