Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Default Tube Break-In is a rollercoaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Need to let the WE run for a few weeks at least and see if it's worth the hype or not in the MHDT DAC.

I don't think it is hype. It's just system dependent. Let us know how it goes.

On day-3 with the change to the Western Electric WE396A tube, I'm learning to leave the MHDT Orchid powered on continuously right now whether I'm using it or not this first week. I did cycle it on/off the first few days but I took another listen after it had been left on and the sounded opened up a (in a different way) today.

A little more top-end detail surfaced but I'm nothing this tube produces a tad more pronounced midrange sound as if it pulls background midrange more forward - if that makes sense. If I play tracks where I'm normally use to hearing guitars in the background like 10 rows away from the stage, it now sounds like your are in the first 4 rows of the stage closer to player.

I'll let it break in for sure, and the switch back to the stock GE tube that comes with the DAC to then determine which i like better. Both tubes produce different sound which is fun to be able to yield a different sound from each, whatever you prefer. Clearly, more time needed to see if it changes further.