View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countingbackwards View Post
As per Jonathan, the CCQ is 70 watts into 8 ohms and the CC80 is 70 watts into 16 ohms. While both amps are capable of similar output based on the tubes in use, the way the amps are designed, in practice you get double the power into low impedances (defined as "below 16 ohms" in the Shindo world) with the CCQ compared to the CC80.

IMHO this is valuable info, since you wouldn't presume that an amp with 4 EL34's per side would be much more powerful than one with 2 KT88's per side, but in this application and into low impedances, that is exactly the case with these 2 amps.

BTW...the CCQ is spec'd on the Shindo Labs website as 70 watts into 8 ohms, whereas the CC80 is just spec'd as 70 watts (no impedance is indicated).

Jerome - i really enjoyed the audition of CC80s with my speakers, but am considering the CCQ for the reasons mentioned here. Does it share the open, detailed, refined quality of the CC80 despite being based on EL34 tubes which can be a bit darker sounding (when in other amp designer's hands) than KT88's?
Great input !
I stand corrected now and I understand better why I'm not crazy ( neither all the people who listened to my system ) when I say that the CCQ have the ability to drive the WP8's easily.
I'm in the street.
Will reply to your question about sound of the CCQ in one hour.