Thread: Jadis
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Howie...are you considering other tube amps? I would be interested in your thoughts on a comparison with other well known tube amp brands as Jadis has very sparse distribution in the US and so the opportunity to hear them on this side of the pond is very limited. Let us know if you audition tube amps from other companies such as EAR, McIntosh, ARC, VTL, and Conrad Johnson (these are the names that I would compare with Jadis equipment). Thx
So far in recent times, I have auditioned Jadis (long sessions) and a short one with Serge's Lamm Models. It had a spectral cdp and Magico M5 speakers. Seriously not my cup of tea at all. I think this is the magico more than anything else. The sound was so dry I almost felt thirsty whilst sitting there! Gonna have to audition Lamm some other way...

Mcintosh stuff i am very familiar with and I intend to listen to the MC2301 once more but it might be more fun to delve into other brands. EAR I know nothing about.
ARC I have to admit doesn't ring my bell yet. I listened to the 210, ref 5, cd8 through amatis a few days ago and it confirmed my feeling that the sound is very neutral and slightly thin, almost solid state like in which case I would prefer to go for Mc 1.2KW or something similar.

CJ and VTL i have heard but not yet demoed seriously.

Last night I had a listen to the new TAD monoblocks, TAD CDP through TAD reference bookshelf speakers. They are quite a fantastic little speaker though not cheap at US$30k ish.