View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady339 View Post
Ted, about Charlie Parker: My dad told us about "Bird," that he was a genius and that he and many other musicians looked up to Parker's awesome technique, improvising creativity, and important innovations in Jazz.

Dad also told us stories about how Parker was always pawning his horn and that he saw Parker perform once in L.A. Dad said Bird was very late coming out on stage. Everyone was calling his name, and when Bird finally came out, he blew a flurry of very fast notes for a few seconds, then passed out on stage to everyone's disappointment. Tragic that Parker struggled with addiction and died at age 34. Miles Davis said something like, You can summarize Jazz in four words, "Louis Armstrong Charlie Parker." I think Miles meant that these are the two guys who were the innovators in Jazz and who taught other musicians how to play Jazz music.

Also, in correction to my other post, it was Bob Benoit, David Benoit father, that played guitar in my Dad's combo. I don't know if David ever studied music with my father.

Roger
Roger, yes, Satchmo and Bird were probably the two most important players in jazz, overall. Its not to say, though, when you appreciate how personal and individual the art of jazz improvising is, that two guys said it all. There have been many great jazz artists, of course. But you could certainly say that, more than most, they were responsible for laying the "foundation" for much of what followed them at their respective times. Then there were the modal and atonal players who came later; Coltrane and Coleman being two key players or founding members of those schools. We live in a time when there is still a lot of good music coming from the world of jazz, just not much of anything really ground-breaking. But there is always tomorrow, isn't there? Ted.

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.

Last edited by Yardbird; 05-13-2016 at 01:02 AM.