View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 06:32 AM

Default S-05 Power Amplifier

Been very interested in the S-05, because as an N-05XD user I kind of want to complete the set.

But over here in Taiwan/HK, the majority of Esoteric users (or at least the ones that talk about their experiences) are using their source equipment only (CD players, streamers, clocks). Posts on local forums about their amps are few and far between, and so far there has been exactly ONE post of someone using it with a pair of JBL monitors (I have a pair of 4429s with my MA8900).

Was in Hong Kong recently, so I went down to the Esoteric dealer and listened to N-05XD / S-05 / Tannoy Westminster Royal GR for an hour, and it was amazing! Played a bit of everything I listen to - Brad Mehldau, Daft Punk, Adele, Sam Smith, Nine Inch Nails, Bill Evans, Alice Sara Ott, and the setup was a joy to listen to, with no fatigue.

Now that I'm back in Taipei, I'm going to try to listen to some different speakers with the S-05 and go from there. The main dealer also likes to pair them with Tannoy, but I found a shop that has Esoteric and Focal, so will give that a shot.

If anyone has the S-05 or the F-03A, what speakers are you using?