View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly84 View Post
Bombadil, Could you elaborate on the Westinghouse 6sn7 you mentioned? Do you know the year, is it chrome top or tall boy etc.? Also. the Raytheon. Really don’t want to repeat your going through 25 different 6sn7’s, even though I know what sounds best to you in your system might not be the same in mine, but it should still be a great starting point. Have you or anyone had a chance to try the RCA red bases? Thanks all.
The Westinghouse which I like was made by Westinghouse (not one of their relabeled issues) in the 1960s. It has yellow text, is taller than a normal 6SN7 and has a copper rod.

I do have a RCA red base 5692, which I find to be okay. It produces a smooth sound but without as much detail on higher frequencies. Sound stage is a bit diminished both in depth and width, not a lot but noticeable. In my setup this is not a favorite of mine, but maybe in a system/room which is a bit bright, this could be a nice pairing.

My 1940s Raytheon VT-231, with bottom getter, is very good. Open and transparent. Sounds very close to my Westinghouse, perhaps a shade better. I haven't decided on this as yet.

Also a Psvane CV181-T Mark II, another "smooth" sounding 6SN7, something like the RCA 5692 but a bit more open sounding in my system. I do occasionally use this one.

Along with many Sylvania, Hytron, Ken-Rad, and more. I must have 25 or so total. The Sylvania Bad Boys are very pricey, I have found less expensive Sylvania, those with the partial Chrome Domes and bottom-chromed to sound good. Solid tubes.

My bargain recommendation, besides the Westinghouse, are Baldwin or Conn labeled Sylvanias. I occasionally see these at around $20. They are decent tubes.

I have listened to all of these in two different Inspire amps, a KT88 Hot Rod and a PSE. Their characteristics are about the same in each amp.

Last edited by Bombadil; 01-08-2022 at 05:11 PM.