View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
So you either go all SGS to begin with or buy a CGS and then upgrade.

I suppose we all do this - upgrade and have to get rid of something (unless the dealer gives us credit).

But still, this doesn't seem like a customer friendly upgrade path, unless they are sponsoring trade-ins. FWIW, I've always found their factory upgrades as new models came out (Triton 1, to v2, to v3) very customer friendly, which is why I'm kinda scratching my head on this one.
I found out that Shunyata dealers have an Altaira "Dedicated Evaluation Kit" that they provide free of charge (maybe have to pay shipping both ways?) thereby customers can audition the Altaira unit and cables prior to purchasing. I don't know if Ivan has this available?
Another thing I was not aware of, the Alteria supports 12 ground connections per unit. You can connect both a banana and a spade to each post on the 6 posts per unit.

I was speaking with Alex at Uptone and he stated that the ground on the power supply is the proper ground and the extra ground on the unit is "redundant" as long as the power supply is grounded with the middle plug on the cord.
He said it was better to keep the ground isolated from the other components. They will be coming out with a new version of the EtherRegen that supports higher Gig speeds (everything else will be similar to the current unit) but they are having difficulty in receiving the chips. Also, they will be putting out a new power supply JS-4 in a couple months.
I am assuming that trying out the ground makes an improvement in the sound quality, then that is the way to go. YMMV