View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Induction has even heat which means you don't have to move pots and pans back and forth while cooking.

Agreed, but you don’t move the pan back and forth for heat so much as you are moving the food in it. High heat and sauteing veggies, tossing a risotto, tipping to collect juices and spooning/basting, rolling an omelette...there are countless scenarios where you want to move the pan around and that’s my point on evaluating what type of cook you are and then picking the equipment which matches up best to your style/skill level. If you do one pan cooking, basic searing, sauteing by moving a spatula around and boiling water for pasta, an induction is fine. If you have 4 pans on the stove at one time and a pot in the oven, a quick shake/rock/toss of the pan is essential to multi-tasking and finishing/plating at the same time. Cooking for multiple people or just multiple/complex dishes requires a cooktop surface that doesn’t need to be babied.

Again, I’m not saying induction is bad or gas is better, just that each type is better for different types of cooks, and the OP should instead be evaluating his specific cooking style and usage for making his decision. I can cook a great complex menu on an induction stove, just like I can prep a 6 course meal with a paring knife or make fresh ravioli using a wine bottle for a rolling pin if I had no other option, but I wouldn’t prefer to do that from the beginning, I’d plan to have the best and most efficient tool for the job I knew was coming up.