View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolis View Post
With your server set up, did you consider the N100 and if so, why the choice of X100 over N100? ( I am looking at these options right now) thx.
Couple of things:

#1. I am lazy, I like to make minimal effort if i pay a high price tag for something. I get cranky if I have to think too much LOL

#2. I do not want to rely on a network to feed my system. Networks go up and down and the more crap you have between the output system, the more things you have to maintain, configure and deal with.

Note: I am both Cisco and MCSE certified and at one time I had to support these system and I never want to do it again. Oh yeah, Novell is in there too... but haven't supported that system in over 15 years.

Networks are fine for job security. But, I am not going to provide my own help desk support. So, yeah, I brains for this junk but gosh, I do do not want to deal with it. I rather just be dumb. That's why I like Apple. Plug and go.... Vroom!

#3. McIntosh with the MB100 did something very right, everything you need is within one small box and unlike much of the competition, Aurender X100 included; the MB100 boasts every imaginable input port -- less Thunderbolt v. 1 and v.2. But this likely was a costly licensing issue and therefore not included as an option and they have profit margin requirements at the forefront as well. Though it would be very nice because with thunderbolt, everything else is just a low Yugo.

So, guess what. I bought both. I have a plan to internally over-haul the MB100 and bring it up to my standards. Stay tuned for that one. And Dan, I am sure you are reading this...don't shoot me! LOL.

#4. Because I am savvy enough, I get fickle when I'm told what to do and how to do it. I am very much do it myself and my way.

About Aurender: Of all the solutions I looked at seemed to offer close to what the MB100 is and some internal flexibility. The product reads like some high end thought and expense what put into this... By comparison. McIntosh went with, for example, generic 2gb ala Kingston DDR3 1333 with a CL rating of 9. They could have gone with 6. or perhaps a DDR1600. For a NAS, it's fine. But, there are more demands on this server that just being a library. There's a GUI, Streaming and so forth. Also, they opted for a cheap WD Green Drive with a small 30GB Kingston SSD.

All these things can be swapped out if you mirror the data on to new hardware and pop in, because there are two slots, more and better performing ram. But, you need to first identify the main board limits. Easy enough.

#5. Given the above, did I consider the N100. No. I have no interest in streaming. i much prefer a local set up.

Also, my home is already wired for whole house sound and I can just connect those cable at the back end of any of my pre-amps and receivers and tie in.

Hope this makes sense. I do not proof read much and just type off the top of my head.