View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 09:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
Hi Prepress

YES. That was many years ago. I still run Plus level in my Lynn / Vandersteen 1C system in my smaller room. Back then I learned the Plus is very detailed, but the Super has a blacker background. Also from top to bottom octaves, the Super is more neutral.

Going from Gen 1 to Gen 6, most noticeable difference is more "weight". So I hear more accurate sound pressure from the speakers with better signal transmission through the interconnect / speaker cable chain. The comparison descriptions are through my Classe preamp/ Simaudio Moon W5 and Vandersteen model 2 speakers.

My two systems react differently to cables. My living room system is more picky. You really have to audition with your own equipment to best determine if the upgrade / investment will be meaningful to you. Authorized Transparent dealers usually allow this. Unless you can justify the investment by sound improvement, I can't recommend. I am happy with my upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I upgraded from Plus to Super a year or two ago and I was stunned by the improvement--lower noise flor, better detail. But i'm not too surprised in was hard to tell in the store on unfamiliar gear. Maybe borrow some cables from your dealer for a few days at home?
I e-mailed the dealer I've worked with on previous Transparent purchases regarding the availability of Super ICs for an in-home audition. Will see what he says. I'm in no hurry. I might plan to upgrade my two most used sources, BD and SACD, but if I do this audition and the difference is significant, there'll be the temptation to spend more money to upgrade all sources, which is problematic financially. My TT has an SME tonearm with a Van Den Hul arm cable; perhaps the Transparent DIN adapter works with it? That's another $330. I'm using Kimber Hero with my MD tuner, and I have no problem with how it sounds. I also have a little-used LD player with MusicLink Plus IC. Since I don't plan to have the player repaired if it breaks, I don't see the point of an IC upgrade there. But consistency would demand I put Super on all sources; practicality says no. I could be starting something here . . .
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks