View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Great looking TT Greg. How do you find the Adikt MM cart? Is it smooth and warm sounding? Have you tried any others?
The Adikt MM pickup came with my LP12 as a "package deal". I had always used a MC pickup before(Linn) but this MM pickup is SPECIAL. It's a $600.00 MM that sounds like it should be a MC pickup at a much higher price- very fine details are revealed,great mids, and bass. I like it so much right now that I'll just keep it for a while. I was all set to get a Naim phono stage(MA6500 only has provisions for MM pickups) but this pickup meshed so well with the Pro-Ject 9cc tonearm that I'm just going to leave it alone. The Pro-Ject 9cc tonearm($1200.00) was made specifically for the LP12($3000.00 for the base with no power supply or tonearm) and is a excellent match too. I see no reason to look at the Linn Akito ($1350.00) for a upgrade on the tonearm- go straight to the new Ekos SE($4950.00) for the next step.
Since this was sold as a package by Linn at $3750.00 for the LP12 base,Pro-Ject 9cc tonearm, Adikt MM pickup, and Majik power supply($750.00 if purchased separately), I consider it to be a tremendous value for those wanting to get into,or return to, vinyl. My MCD500 clobbers sonically the fully tripped out LP12 ,which currently costs $18k, so I saw no need to go that route. But, I still missed playing records so for me it was a very logical choice. I did demo the Linn Lingo($1800.00) power suppy( it comes with a different motor which costs $1200.00) and found there to be only a slight improvement in sound. I elected not to get the Lingo- it's good but not worth $3000.00. My LP12 is still very new and sounds better every time that I play a LP. The Adikt MM pickup does not fit quite a few tonearms and is made mainly for the Linn/Pro-Ject 9cc tonearms.