View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
I don't see why you can't put the Nucleus+ near your audio rack — it is fanless.

One benefit — the Nucleus+ has USB to connect directly to your DAC while the SonicTransporter i7 does not.

If doing Roon DSD upsampling the i7 is recommended.

My position is to get as much horsepower today because you may need it in the future.

Ron
Ah, that's because it has a high-bandwidth CPU spewing lots of garbage-y noise, including EMI and RF, all over the place. Its the high-bandwidth noise that's the worst. For example, this high-bandwidth noise can be picked up by the speaker wires, acting literally as antennas, and be fed backwards into the power amp, to be amplified again as noise. John Atkinson wrote a good article about this some years ago. This is why its good to put any computers as far away from the audio rack as possible.

As far as horsepower, Roon really doesn't need a lot because its not really doing much that is actually CPU intensive. Its not like editing 4K 60P 4:2:2 video or anything close to that with respect to demanding a lot from a processor. Its just pulling a set of audio files from a drive, sending them to a streamer or network bridge, and loading metadata for viewing on a remote app. I can see having a i7 for upsampling DSD but, really, not many folks are doing that in the grand scheme of things. Redbook 16/44 is by far the largest proportion of content, probably 99.5% of all the content that is played on Roon, particularly when used with Tidal. YMMV, of course.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-14-2019 at 08:09 PM.