View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
If your XV-1s is 5-10-15 years old, odds are it is already worn out. Cartridges have much shorter lifespans than most realize or want to admit. It's worth sending it to Dynavector for a check-up rather than continuintg to use a worn cartridge to play records.

Dynavector may be able to re-tip it for you, check the suspension, or offer an exchange for a new XV-1s or XV-1t.
Thank you, Tima.

Age is the primary reason I’m thinking it might be time for a change. Even more so than vacuum tubes, my sense is that the sound quality change over time is even slower and harder to detect for a cartridge.

I’ve been in touch with Mike Pranka, the US importer for Dynavector and they offer a 20% credit on a trade to a new XV1-S or XV1-T, or will rebuild my existing cart for a price that pretty much makes either trade or rebuild a wash. No retip-only — the rebuild includes the entire generator assembly including suspension and recharging the alnico magnets.

Mike does say that absent mistracking or other audible problems, in his experience Dynavectors are exceptionally long-life cartridges.

Best regards,

Steve

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!