View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 12:41 PM

LewL, I have been reliably told that the MC3500 is tested at 500 watts before being shipped. I was told that Mac had to call their new amp the MC3500 for obvious reasons, notwithstanding the fact it will do much more easily.

However, in regards to the ARC 750 SEL's, they are clearly more powerful than the 3500. But they are not practical. They are true room heaters and absolutely huge. Compared to the 750, the 3500 is quite small and runs very cool. It is definitely not a room heater. But the 750 is the King, IMO.

The new ARC 320 will do 320 watts per channel but probably not anymore. That would be enough for most folks but not for me. There is nothing closed or restricted in the mids or treble with the 3500 when run through WEL Signature solid silver and Dragon power cords. The bass is simply the best I have heard.

If you ever heard an original MC240 or MC275 through a Bozak Concert Grand, it's the sound I have, except more full range. These amps had bass in steroids. Not boomy or uncontrolled at all, and the most open midrange and beautiful treble. This is what you get with a 3500/XVX.

I might add that this is why I'm not particularly a fan of the hybrid drive. I think any modern Mac tube amp will have great bass. This was the quality that separated the original MC240 from its competitors. As far as I know firms like ARC must outsource their output transformers and they "upgrade" their transformers on occasion. McIntosh is the only manufacturer that makes theirs from scratch, and they have never changed to my knowledge. They can't be duplicated by other companies.

Best

Charles

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII (2); McIntosh MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1); Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables; balanced IC (preamp to main amps); WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/MCD12000; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes

Last edited by Charles; 03-14-2023 at 12:50 PM.