Thread: Magico M9
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsalis View Post
Interesting, can you explain why a company who prides itself on “drivers time alignment” have a rear “ambiance” drivers? How are they time aligned with the front drivers?
Ultimately, it's what works. If you look at most speakers, certainly not all, there is some allowance/recognition for time alignment. The rear tweeter on the XVX begins at a maximum of -13db centered at 7kHz relative to the front tweeter when the adjustment is at full level. Lowest level is -37 db which removes it.

Although I can't prove it, I believe this ambiance effect centered around 7 kHz would have zero affect on the time alignment feature of the XVX. I really desired the time alignment feature, especially its adjust ability. The time alignment is about first arrival time, which would not be affected by the rear tweeter output.

Although the XVX weighs in at 685 lbs which is quite heavy, it comes in pieces. The woofer bin probably weighs in at 450-500 lbs. Getting a 1,000 pound 750,000 dollar object up any kind of steps could result in a disadvantageous outcome. What would the M9 weigh in at with a conventional aluminium build? 1,500 pounds?? At some point weight does become a factor, a tipping point. The WAMM comes in at 900 lbs but again comes in pieces. However, the WAMM is impractical. It is too tall and too large. Wilson acknowledges this and at 850,000 dollars it is unaffordable to all but a very few. The wonder of the XVX is you get a speaker competitive with the WAMM significantly lighter, more compact, and at one third the price. The XVX mids are new and the rear tweeter is adjustable. Although 329,000 dollars is expensive, I view the XVX quite a bargain. For me I would rather have my XVX/Thor system, than a WAMM system. My single Thor will have as much output as the WAMM subs combined and more low end authority. I want the new alnico mids and the adjustable rear Mark 5 tweeter. The build quality of the XVX is superior to the WAMM because of the new materials used and the new better capacitors.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 06-25-2020 at 05:54 AM.