View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 05:51 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandee14 View Post
And therein is the problem, especially with MBL speakers, reflected sound. All that money, effort, and expensive home to maximize distortion.

John Gish offered these tips on audio equipment:

1. Almost 90% of what you hear is reflected sound, so your room is always the most important component of your sound system. In general, speakers work best when placed away from the walls and corners. If you have some flexibility in speaker placement, you can dramatically improve your listening experience.
I don't have any flexibility with my room, which is why there's not much depth to the soundstage. But it all still sounds good.

As for my system, i have apartment insurance which covers everything in the apartment, and live in a second-floor walk-up; add to that the sheer weight of my 501s and the speakers, not to mention the other multiple components, I want to think it's less likely someone makes off with anything here.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks