View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 02:07 PM

Default ELIPSA SE for a "smallish" room

Folks here know about my passion and love for Sonus faber. I have been vocal about what I consider to be missteps taken by the company recently, but I also have a profound admiration for most of the "classic" lines they produced not so long ago.

I am finally in a position where I am seriously considering the purchase of a pair of Elipsa SE's.

Looking at my signature you will notice that I currently own the Toy Towers. Yes, I realize this would be a gigantic step forward (some may call it "laughably so"! ). Actually, I am happy with the Toys. They were kindly and expertly set-up by our own Bill Peugh himself, and sound wonderful, all things considered. Truth be told, I don't really "need" the Elipsa's. Having said that, they have been my dream speaker ever since I laid eyes on them for the first time. Period. I don't "need" them. I do "want" them.

My concern is my room. You could say it is on the "smallish" side. Dimensions are roughly 15 feet (left to right) and 12.5 feet (front to back), with an opening on the right side of approximately 5 extra feet. Ceiling is about 8 feet high. Floor is tile, but a large carpet covers most of it. Walls are almost entirely covered with media.

You can actually see numerous photos of the room on these very pages. Here's a direct link:
http://www.audioaficionado.org/membe...bans-cave.html

There have been some changes since I took those photos (mostly the addition of Nordost Heimdall 2 speaker cables, an Oppo 105, a Panasonic 65VT60, etc), but the room lay-out is exactly the same.

Biggest concern is bass. One of the reasons I would like to upgrade is precisely a little more bass and extension. I do listen to a lot of classic rock, progressive metal, etc., but also a lot of symphonic classical. However, we know that "too much" bass is also a problem.

Amplification is a Prima Luna DiaLogue One. Perhaps not ideal, but I understand the Elipsas are relatively efficient. John Atkinson measured them for Stereophile many years ago and he did say they require lots of current. That was for the original model, though, and not the SE. Does anybody know if the SE's are more efficient?

What do you folks think? Is it viable?