View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 06:03 PM

Default Astell & Kern: Something New Coming?

I was looking to upgrade my AK 120 (original) to either the AK 120 II or AK 240. When looking on Amazon I noticed that the AK 120 II is now being sold by a number of sellers for $1399 instead of the retail price of $1699. Selling price drops often portend a new or upgraded model coming soon so before I make the jump, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about a new or upgraded model coming out.

BTW: the AK 120 is great ( when I upgrade mine will go to my daughter who I have been slowly and deviously indoctrinating into the world of high-quality sound-- first by giving her some Westone IEMs to listen to her iPod and computer music, buying her "music" gifts from HD Tracks instead of the iTunes Store, then gifting her with a Fiio DAC-amp for the Westones-- and next the AK. My evil mission is almost compete). If anyone is put off by the price of the AK 100 II, 120 II or 240, the AK 120 can be had for much less money and is really a treat (great sound, twin DACs and really good battery life-- a great way to dip your toe in the water of high-end portable sound with a smaller investment than the newer AKs). Anyway, back to my question. Anybody heard anything?

Thanks
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.