Thread: New JBL 4365
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Default The Brass Ring - 'Studio' version of DD66000

Greetings Gents -

I was trying to start a new thread on this topic (which I will dutifully explain here shortly), but for some reason it was not allowed - I could have been doing something wrong, who knows. No matter, I want to get the group's opinion on this:

Most of you who have been paying attention to both the consumer and (quasi) professional-consumer market for JBL, have undoubtedly noticed the progression from small to large format series. When I say 'large format', I am referring specifically to transducers which house a 15" driver as the 'core-configuration', moving up of course to the time-honored and proven, Dual 15" core/configuration as currently offered in the DD66000.

My term 'quasi' above, is in reference to the Harman.jp 'blue heritage' versions of the long since retired JBL 43XX Professional Series of Studio Monitors, in that they are not actually produced by the Professional Division, but retain the physical characteristics and hallmarks of the deceased large format JBL Professional line.

In any event, as we saw, the consumer side began with single 15" driver a few years back and reached it's zenith with the introduction of the DD66000. I would assume (from a marketing perspective), that the demand for the 'single' series was enough to bring development forward for the DD66000. Of course, the success of this series of large-format consumer transducers speaks for itself.

Now then... That same 'progression' seems to be taking place with the recent introduction of the 4365 monitor. Look back throughout the past 6 or 7 years of the Harman.jp JBL studio monitor lineup, and tell me that we're not on track (barring a real tank in sales for this series), for a 'culminating' product - much like the DD66000, with a dual 1501FE bottom, and likely the same, or slightly modified 476MG/045Ti horn assembly top end...?

I trust/hope that Mr. Timbers will lead the design team and bring what is in the back of every current and former JBL Professional series monitor owner's minds - a 'culmination' of technology and design brilliance with the introduction of a Dual 15" based, large-format monitor in the honor and tradition of the venerable 4350, in the form of the (4390?)

Well, we can certainly hope, can't we...?