View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelii08 View Post
Do you find the CR1s to be on the bright or forward side of boxes, or more warmer style?
To my ears (and what I read in reviews from others who have a much broader experience) the CR1's are neutral across the spectrum. They are hugely transparent and will render every bit of detail they are fed. They are not 'bright' or 'warm' (I guess this means smoothed over treble?) but I would call them 'right.' I think they could be perceived as forward if you are used to a 'warm' speaker or if your electronics are not up to the task (this doesn't sound like a problem you will have). In my system they are just right, I never perceive the treble as harsh unless it is really over-cooked in the recording.

I did just recently replace my source component after which I found the sound too forward. It now has around 150 hours on it and this forwardness is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelii08 View Post
The idea of a big small speakers or big monitors better said, is growing on me given extra benefit of flexibility regarding placemen on complicated rooms.
Yes this is a huge benefit for me also. I spent a lot of time fine tuning their positioning and ended up with the speakers pretty close to the listening position in an almost nearfield setup. The concentric drive unit allows for this as it behaves as a single point source. Previous speakers I have had to position closer to the walls to get integration of midrange and tweeter which meant I was not able to avoid the woofers exciting room modes or sit in nulls. This is very room specific of course but just another advantage these speakers have in terms of flexibility.