View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Hi Charles,

It would take an awful lot for the MC275 to clip in the OP's room.

But staying on the subwoofer question--won't adding an active sub with, say, 1,000 watts supporting the low end, take a huge load off the power amp? If yes, doesn't that change your answer on the MC275? I ask because I don't think there is any amount of power that will bring strong bass to the Sabrinas (even glowing reviews acknowledge this)
It depends on what you mean by an awful lot. There are many movie sound tracks that when played at reasonable high level would easily approach or exceed 75 watts. I agree that for the majority of music 75 watts would be adequate but far from optimum. I don't believe it wise to approach clipping for any amp tube or otherwise. A sensitivity of 87 dB is typical for a speaker like SabrinaX. IMO, a Mac 462 is optimum or a 1502 and most definitely what I would recommend. The great thing about Mac is that you get so much amp for the money.

I doubt that Wilson would agree that SabrinaX is bass deficient as you imply. No, first and foremost adequately supply the speaker with power, then add the sub. It is difficult to blend a sub smoothly with the main when the main is properly driven. When the main is not adequately driven, impossible.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-04-2021 at 08:37 PM.